Summer is coming to an end – don’t miss out on these MANY new 4 week Competition Obedience classes, with new instructors as well! We have something for everyone, from beginners just starting out, all the way thru Utility level! Details are as follows:
- Mondays, 6:30 PM – Novice Plus (with Sheila Bennett) starts Mon, Aug 10th: this class is designed for the teams that have an understanding of the Novice exercises, may even be competing at that level and want to polish their performance, and would like start introducing Open and Utility exercises as well. One new exercise per week will be introduced. Work on your heeling and figure 8s, as you also start to introduce retrieves, jumps, drops and more!
- Mondays, 7:45 PM: Utility (with Sheila Bennett) starts Mon., Aug 10th: are you or your dog new to Utility? Are you a seasoned competitor and want to polish your performance? This is your class! Work on articles, go outs, directed jumping, signals and more, all in a positive environment!
- Wednesdays, 5:30 PM – Introduction to Competition Obedience (with Carolyn Goudreau) starts Wed., Aug 5th: focus on the foundation of some Novice exercises in pieces, as you and your dog are exposed to the finer points that will result in a rewarding partnership in and out of the ring! This class is GREAT for people who have completed a basic obedience course with their dog and want to step-up the finer points of their training. Work on focus, maintaining attitude, distractions, footwork and much, much more! This class is perfect for those who want to see what this sport is about, or for those who would like to lay a solid foundation for Rally Obedience. Dip your toes into this arena and give it a try – no long term commitment – just 4 weeks!
- Wednesdays, 6:45 PM – Open is Awesome! (with Carolyn Goudreau) starts Wed., Aug 5th: In this class, you will up the ante, since you have the Novice basics, and are almost ready to take the plunge into the Open level of Competition Obedience! You will be doing more off-leash work, teaching a motivated drop on recall, doing dumbbell work, and working on getting in and out of the ring easily and safely.
- Fridays, 11 AM – Take Your Heeling to the Next Level (with Jennie Burkhardt) starts Fri., Aug 14th: heeling is an important part of all levels of Competition Obedience! Have you been losing points on your heeling and Figure 8s? Would you like to work on getting that focused attention from your dog in the ring? This class is also appropriate for those who do rally, too! Heeling should look like you are your dog are in perfect sync, doing a dance together! Start working on that now, before the trials start up again (or before our next CDSP obedience trial in August)!
- Fridays, 12:15 PM -Versatile Obedience (with Jennie Burkhardt) starts Fri., August 14th: Are stays costing you Q’s? We will be covering “stay get your leash,’ novice stays, and beginner novice “walk around the room” stays. Worries about the exams?… Or maybe you would like to know how to start them… This session will cover the moving stand, novice stand, CDSP stand, and the beginner sit for exam.
- Fridays, 4:30 PM – Competition Obedience Foundation (with Sheila Bennett) starts Fri., Aug 14th: do you have a new puppy or dog that you would like to get started in Competition Obedience? This is your class! Let Sheila gently guide you and your new dog on the path to success! Ideally, your dog should have completed a basic obedience course, so that the foundation of teamwork between you and your dog has begun. Learn how to get your dog’s attention and maintain that focus, as you build understanding of the various Novice exercises. This class is also a great way to build those basics that are needed for the rally ring!
- Friday, 5:45 PM – Utility (with Sheila Bennett) starts Fri., Aug 14th: are you or your dog new to Utility? Are you a seasoned competitor and want to polish your performance? This is your class! Work on articles, go outs, directed jumping, signals and more, all in a positive environment!
All classes run for 4 weeks.
All classes have a limit of 8 people.
All classes cost $130 per session, and you must pre-sign and pre-pay in full.
We have had a lot of interest in these classes, and once they are full, we will have to put you on a wait list, so if you think you want to take one (or more!) of these classes, give us a call at 508-553-9300.
Sheila Bennett’s bio: Sheila has been teaching for us for a number of years now, so she almost needs no introduction! She has an OTCH (Obedience Trial Champion), multiple High in Trials, multiple High Combined scores, has competed on the National level, and consistently places in the ribbons with her dogs (Wirehaired Pointing Griffons)! Sheila’s students love her supportive presence, both in training and at trials. She is an AKC provisional judge for the Novice and Non-regular classes, as well as for Rally Obedience (non-regular classes). She has also been a CDSP Obedience judge for several years.
Jennie Burkhardt’s bio: Jennie started in competition obedience in 1986, and continues to compete to this day, most recently with her Miniature Poodle. She has 2 OTCHs (Obedience Trials Champions), multiple High in Trials and High Combined scores, as well as several perfect scores of 200, and her students consistently do well in the obedience ring. She has had the top dog of it’s breed in the country in Obedience three times (Australian Shepherd and Rottweiler). Jennie loves working with her students and their dogs, and can often be seen ringside, giving them support and encouragement as they prepare to compete.
Carolyn Goudreau’s bio: Carolyn has been training dogs and showing in Competition Obedience since 2005. She has achieved Utility Dog titles on two of her Golden Retrievers and accumulated several High In Trials in AKC venues. Her current prospect, Jib, is on his way to earning his OtCH (Obedience Trial Champion). Rudder, her youngest Golden, is preparing for his Novice debut later this year. Carolyn loves working with students and seeing the relationship with their dog prosper as they gain experience learning the sport of obedience.